About the chair
Christian M. Stracke
Welten Institute, Open University of the Netherlands
International Council for Open and Distance Education Chair in Open Educational Resources
Research focus: Open Education, OER, MOOCs and their large-scale implementation
Dr. Christian M. Stracke is Associate Professor for Open Education and Innovation at the Open University of the Netherlands (OUNL) (www.ou.nl/web/welten-institute) and ICDE Chair in OER. In addition he is Advisory Professor at the East China Normal University (ECNU) in Shanghai, and Adjunct Professor at the Korea National Open University (KNOU) in Seoul. As an internationally recognized expert and innovator, his main working fields are Open Education, technology-enhanced learning, educational policies and philosophy, learning innovations and quality, impact assessment and competence modelling. He holds a PhD in Economics (Dr. rer. pol.) from the University of Duisburg-Essen (Germany) and a Magister Artium (M.A.) in Educational Sciences from the University of Bonn (Germany). He is senior researcher and strategy consultant with international reputation and numerous references for learning policies, innovations and quality in all learning sectors.
Christian M. Stracke has founded and established ICORE, the International Community for Open Education and Research (www.ICORE-online.org), promoting and enhancing the vision of openness in research and education worldwide. At many international conferences and events he is invited keynote speaker and PC member and he is Conference Chair of LINQ, the annual international conference on Learning Innovations and Quality (www.learning-innovations.eu).
He is author and editor of numerous scientific books, articles, handbook chapters, and standards on learning innovations and quality. In international Standardisation he is elected Chair of international (ISO PC 288 on QM for Education) and European (CEN TC 353 on (E‑)Learning, Education and Training) Standardisation Committees.
He has gained extensive experience (> 20 years of business and research in HR and E-Learning) in leading large scale projects and research teams (e.g., as Managing Director of TELIT) and in consulting and supporting institutions and public authorities to develop long-term policies and to improve learning innovations and quality.
Many research projects (100+, > 50 Mio EUR) were and are managed and supervised as coordinator and quality manager by him including ODS (budget: 15.3 Mio EUR, www.opendiscoveryspace.eu), ISE (budget: 9.8 Mio EUR, www.inspiring-science.eu), and Q.E.D. (budget: 4.0 Mio EUR) as the three biggest e-Learning projects next to many other obtained European research and development projects funded by the EC (e.g., MOOQ, LELLE, PBL 3.0, ACT, EBE-EUSMOSI, DIGI-FEM, PURE-H2O, AGRICOM, ARISTOTELE, LoCloud, VOA3R, WACOM, Q-Cert-VET, eCOTOOL, COMPAT, SIMBASE).
He has established the European Institute for Learning, Innovation and Cooperation (www.elc-institute.org) and the Learning Innovations Lab Collective (www.lilab.eu). He was Initiator and Board Member of the German E-Learning Association D-ELAN.
QOE, the international MOOC for the quality of Open Learning and Education: www.mooc-quality.net
MOOQ for the quality of Open Online Learning and Education, MOOCs and OER: www.mooc-quality.eu
ICORE, the International Community for Open Research and Open Education: www.ICORE-online.org
ODS, the Open Discovery Space for teachers and e-learning in school education: www.opendiscoveryspace.eu
ISE for Inspiring Science Education in primary and secondary schools: www.inspiringscience.eu
- Stracke, C. M. (2018). How can Open Education improve learning quality and achieve impact for learners, organizations and in society? In T. Amiel (Ed.), Utopias and Dystopias in Education. Sao Paulo: UNICAMP. (in print)
- Stracke, C. M. (2017). The Quality of MOOCs: How to improve the design of open education and online courses for learners? In P. Zaphiris and A. Ioannou (Eds.), LCT 2017, Part I, LNCS 10295, pp. 1–9, 2017. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-58509-3_23
- Stracke, C. M. (2017). Why we need High Drop-out Rates in MOOCs: New Evaluation and Personalization Strategies for the Quality of Open Education In Proc. ICALT 2017. IEEE: Computer Society. pp. 13-15. DOI 10.1109/ICALT.2017.109
- Stracke, C. M. (2017). Open Education and Learning Quality: The Need for Changing Strategies and Learning Experiences. In Proc. IEEE EDUCON 2017. IEEE Xplore, 978-1-5090-5466-4/17. pp. 1044-1048.
- Stracke, C. M. (2016). MOOCs are dead! – Open Education and the Quality of Online Courses Towards a Common Quality Reference Framework. In A. Moreira Teixeira, A. Szűcs, & I. Ildikó Mázár (Eds.), Proceedings EDEN 2016 Annual Conference. Bucharest, Hungary: European Distance and E-Learning Network (EDEN). pp. 215-221. http://hdl.handle.net/1820/7345
- Stracke, C. M. (2015). The Need to Change Education towards Open Learning. In C. M. Stracke & T. Shamarina-Heidenreich (Eds.), The Need for Change in Education: Openness as Default?. [Proceedings of 4th International Conference Learning Innovations and Learning Quality (LINQ)]. Berlin: Logos. pp. 11-23. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.4377.8800. http://hdl.handle.net/1820/6287
- Stracke, C. M. & Shamarina-Heidenreich, T. (Eds.) (2015). The Need for Change in Education: Openness as Default? [Proceedings of 4th International Conference Learning Innovations and Learning Quality (LINQ)]. Berlin: Logos. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.3919.1284. http://hdl.handle.net/1820/6286
- Stracke, C. M. (2014). Evaluation Framework EFI for Measuring the Impact of Learning, Education and Training. 华东师范大学学报（自然科学版） Journal of East China Normal University, vol. 2014 (2). Shanghai: ECNU. pp. 1-12. [DOI: 10.3969/j. ISSN 1000-5641. 2012.02.012] http://hdl.handle.net/1820/6978